Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Children’s Book Junkie

I’m a children’s book junkie…I already have 287 books for my future classroom library.

DSCN0155
A few of my very favorites...
If you spend time with me, you’ll quickly discover that I have a huge love for children’s literature. I remember the excitement I had in elementary school when my teacher started a new read aloud book. I remember the first book I read that I truly fell in love with (The BFG by Roald Dahl) and going to the library to search for others like it. There is just something special about children's books.

I’m constantly collecting new books…I never seem to have enough. I can only imagine how many I’ll have by the time I graduate! I always look for bargains. I scoured the Scholastic Book Warehouse sale with my mom last year and came away with a multitude of brand new books for heavily discounted prices. I’ve also found many books at yard sales and Goodwill for cheap prices.

{Summer 2012}1
I want my classroom library to be a central part of my future classroom. I want to have an ever growing library with all sorts of books. I want my books to have scratches and dog-eared pages to show that they've been read over and over. Most of all, I want to inspire my students to love reading.

8 comments:

Natalie said...

I love, love, love this! It's sorta insane how many children's books I've got... and there's more to come for sure =) Some of my friends think I'm a little weird because every time we go to a book store I go straight to the children's section first. Roald Dahl is a favorite of mine too!

Laurie Ann said...

I'm a new reader here but I just wanted to say, I love this!! I am an education major as well and just spent the last semester in Children's Lit. It was the hardest class I have ever taken (mainly because of the volume of work) but it was also one of the most fun and most rewarding. Children's books just have something special about them, and it's great to see your passion for them! If you haven't had a children's lit class yet, it's one to definitely look forward to!

alliespence. said...

oh man. your kids (school or otherwise) are going to be some well-read folks. love that!

jennifer blair said...

I love all of these! :) The cat in the hat is such a classic!

Tiffany said...

I love children's books too!!!! They are so helpful in my ESL classroom. What age/grade do you want to teach?
-Tiff
http://thewanderingtheologian.blogspot.com

Holly said...

I hope you have "The Little Mole Who Knew It Was None Of His Business"! Greatest book ever. ;-)

The Cavallaro's said...

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I get when I go into bookstores! Do you have a Half Price Books around you? I get a ton of my books from there. I probably buy about 100-150 a summer. Every year I loose about 100 books (from kids "taking" them and me giving them away.) I work in a very low income district and most of my kiddos don't have books at home, so if my books grow legs and walk away, I usually don't mind (I definitely don't ENCOURAGE it by any means). But, I probably have somewhere around 1000-1100 books in my classroom! I love Half Price Books because a lot of the books are only $1 or $2! They also give FREE boxes of books away to TEACHERS! You can go every two weeks and they usually give you 3-4 boxes every time you go! What grades are you thinking of teaching? A lot of the books I get are too low for my kids (I teach middle school) and I usually just donate them to Goodwill, but if I stumble across some that may fit your future age, I could send them to you! Let me know :)

Lauren E. said...

I have just stumbled upon your blog and i'm so glad I did! I am a sophmore in college and studying Early Childhood Education. I am also a childrens book junkie as well. I am very glad to see that i'm not the only one who has began collecting a large amount of books for their classroom early on. I look foward to reading more of your blog in the future. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...