Thursday, August 2, 2012

Practicalities and Promises

Last night a thunderstorm swept through my area. As evening closed in the rain steadily started to pour. The lightening lit up the sky and the thunder seemed to shake the earth. I grabbed a throw blanket and went out to sit in one of the rocking chairs on the front porch to listen to the rain. It was dark (well, in between lightening strikes) and chilly.

As I sat there, my mind started to race with anxiousness. I go back to school in two weeks and I need a job. I've started to fill out applications and I’ve let my worries trample my faith. It’s difficult enough finding a job in this economy, let alone in a college town. I’ve spent too much time this week worrying about if I’ll be able to land a job. I realize how trivial this is compared to what other people are facing and I’m so thankful that I don’t have a husband or children dependent on me. I have very supportive parents, but the fact is I need a job and this waiting period is hard.

I decided to spend time in the Word and I opened up to the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead (John 11:38-44).

“Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. “Take away the stone,” he said. “But, Lord,” said Martha, the sister of the dead man, “by this time there is bad odor, for he has been there four days.” Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?”

Jesus commanded that the stone covering the tomb entrance be removed…Jesus had no doubt that He would raise Lazarus from the dead. What stuck out to me was Martha’s response to the Lord. Instead of doing what He said, she rambled on about how rotten the tomb must smell. After all, Lazarus had been dead for four days already! Her response seemed logical, but she had forgotten what the Lord had promised. I was struck with this thought:

I diminish God’s promises when I become consumed with practicalities…believe in faith.

I’ve been doubting His promises by focusing on logistics! Some of my thoughts this week have been similar to these…”I won’t get hired anywhere.” “Why would they hire a young college girl without any experience?” “I won’t find a job that I enjoy.” “There are so many others seeking a job and I won’t stand out.”

Instead of trusting that God will provide, I’ve allowed practicalities to fill my mind with doubts. I don’t want to diminish His promises, so I’m changing my attitude from here on out. I refuse to let these toxic thoughts consume me!

I'm not sure what you're facing today, but I want to encourage you to have faith in His promises. Don't let the practicalities of how it will work out cloud your mind.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wonderfully written Samantha! I have also been struggling with becoming overwhelmed about everything I am involved in next semester/looking for a job. Your post was very encouraging to me :)

Natalie said...

Really needed to hear this Samantha! My work study job fell through, so not I'm in a similar position as you. Praying you find work soon! =)

Ameera (أميرة) said...

This is such an amazing post. It's full of Biblical truth and great insight. Thank you so much for sharing this part of your life with me. I'm praying every day for your job situation and I'm excited to see how the Lord will provide. Just as a bit of encouragement I can tell you that He provided over $1000 for my upcoming trip in less than a month! How amazing, right?
Blessings,
Tiff

siddathornton said...

thank you for this reminder! this was beautifully written, & i really enjoyed reading it.

and by the way, i'll be praying you get a job :)

- lauren

Melanie said...

needed this. thank you girl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...