Saturday, July 14, 2012

When a Passion Becomes a Calling

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31

passions
{source}
 As I was having my quiet time yesterday, I kept coming back to the thought that God uses our passions to fulfill His purposes. It is an incredible truth to me that God places individual callings on our lives. Even more so, that our calling is much greater than just a culmination of our strengths.

I was thinking about the conversations I’ve had with friends recently. One of the topics that always comes up is what we’re passionate about. I treasure getting to hear about the passions that are deeply ingrained into who they are. These passions fuel them. Energize them. It’s the neatest thing to watch their eyes light up as they share their dreams and visions.

My friends have such unique passions. One has the biggest heart to work with women and to have them know their immense worth in Christ. One loves art history and dreams of working at a fine art museum one day. One has a passion for health care and medical missions. One has an eye for clothing design and a desire to see the fashion industry changed. One has a deep love for the Spanish language. One wants to be a business woman that uses her management to glorify God. One dreams of the day when she’ll be called “mama” for the first time. The list goes on…

My mind races back and forth with excitement as I think about my own passion{s}. My heart is to be in the classroom. I want to be a teacher that is marked with Christ’s love for my students and I know that God placed this passion on my heart.

We are all wired uniquely by God in such a creative way. Unfortunately, I’ve seen many believers discredit their God-given passions. They make the mistake of believing that you have to be called into missions or ministry in the traditional sense for your passion to have value in the Kingdom. This is not how it should be!

Whatever passion you have stirring in your heart, I believe God is saying “go for it!” Pursue that wholeheartedly. When you do what you’re passionate about with excellence you reflect the holy God of heaven.

If you’re a writer…write pieces that you’ll still be proud of in the future.

If you’re a nurse…treat your patients with gentleness and tenderness.

If you’re a photographer…invest in your clients as you capture those moments.

If you’re a musician…create music that has meaning.

If you’re a coach…teach your kids about leadership and integrity.

Etc.

You don’t have to separate your passions from how you serve God. It is not as much about what you are doing, but WHO is in your heart as you do it.

I will end with the same scripture I started with…

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31

11 comments:

Amanda G. said...

This is awesome and insightful. I found this "teachers serenity prayer" that I am making for my desk at school. Thought you would love it too:

God grant me the serenity to accept each child as you created them, the courage to lovingly guide them in Your footsteps and the Faith to grow in Your Grace.

Natalie said...

Such an awesome message Samantha! It's so hard for people to sometimes wrap their heads around this. Often we just equate kingdom work with missions and the like, but it's simply not true =)

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

A noble profession. What year are you in school?

I taught for 8 years before I stayed home with my boys. Your post made me think of what my passions are, and why they have changed.

Nicolette

Sarah said...

love it! Your words are such an encouragement, especially for us gals at the age when we are figuring out our futures and how God is planning to use us!!

♥, Sarah
sweetnessoflaughter.blogspot.com

Ameera (أميرة) said...

What a phenomenal and encouraging post! I'm so excited to see how God uses and blesses your passion for the classroom :)
-Tiff

Erin James said...

this is so beautiful and encouraging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you so much for sharing it. you're amazing!

courtney said...

awww... this is beautiful :)

Katie Cook said...

You are an AMAZING writer, I love this! thank you for the encouragement girl:) love Katie

jennifer blair said...

I love this so much! I'be definitely learned this lately. Whatever you do...ministry doesn't just happen overseas or at a church! Great post!

alliespence. said...

oh wow this is so so good samantha! absolutely love it and so true!

Rhoda said...

"Our calling is much greater than just a culmination of our strengths." --That's good! The Lord is the one that equips us when our passions don't meet our strengths at times.

Thanks for sharing this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...